Gabriel and Jordan Henderson had an altercation at the Emirates on October 9; both players and six other witnesses were consulted by the Football Association but it concluded “there is no case to answer”
Wednesday 26 October 2022 18:38, UK
The FA has said it will take no further action over an alleged incident between Jordan Henderson and Gabriel.
Gabriel and Henderson were involved in a heated discussion towards the end of Arsenal’s 3-2 win over Liverpool on October 9 after the home side had been awarded a penalty.
An FA investigation was launched amid claims the England midfielder, who strenuously denied the allegation, had made a comment which incensed the Brazilian.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
However, after a “full and thorough investigation” which included talking to six players who were near the clash as well as Gabriel and Henderson, the FA said that “there is no case to answer”.
The FA also confirmed that despite “none of the witnesses [hearing] the alleged comment”, the “allegation was made in good faith”.
The incident happened after Arsenal had been awarded a 76th-minute spot-kick for Thiago Alcantara’s challenge on Gabriel Jesus, which was upheld by VAR.
Tempers flared as players from both sides became involved and referee Michael Oliver spoke to managers Mikel Arteta and Jurgen Klopp on the sidelines, although neither elaborated on the cause during their post-match press conferences.
Latest Premier League table
Live football on Sky Sports this week
Get NOW to stream big moments
Premier League fixtures
In a statement released on Wednesday, the FA said: “Following an investigation into an allegation received by The FA in the Premier League fixture between Arsenal FC and Liverpool FC on Sunday 9 October 2022, The FA can confirm that it will not be taking any disciplinary action.
“The FA received a complaint about an incident involving two players in this fixture. As a result of the complaint, The FA conducted a full and thorough investigation.
“The investigation included taking witness statements from the complainant and accused, along with an additional six players who were within proximity of the alleged incident, reviewing multiple angles of video footage, and seeking independent linguistics experts’ evidence. None of the witnesses heard the alleged comment, and the player accused strenuously denied the allegation throughout.
“Whilst The FA is entirely satisfied that the allegation was made in good faith, it is equally satisfied that there is no case to answer.
“The FA continues to take all allegations received extremely seriously and would encourage anyone who believes that they have been the subject of or witness to abuse to report this through the appropriate channels. The FA receives a number of complaints in any one season and thoroughly investigates each one that it receives. Following consideration of all of the evidence received, not all cases will result in a charge being issued.”
Correctly predict six scorelines to win £250,000 for free with Super 6 on Tuesday. Entries by 8pm.
© 2022 Sky UK