We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The end of the summer transfer window is in sight and there is still likely plenty of business to be done from the Premier League big boys. Manchester United’s need for reinforcements was made all too clear during their dismal 4-0 defeat to Brentford on Saturday, and manager Erik ten Hag has reportedly pleaded with the club’s superiors to splash the cash.
With Cristiano Ronaldo looking like he’d rather be anywhere else, the need for a new forward is painfully obvious. The Red Devils have been linked with a whole host of names, but PSG’s Mauro Icardi is beginning to appear the most realistic option, and United are thought to be ramping up their efforts in hope of signing the 29-year-old striker.
Meanwhile, Chelsea drew 2-2 with Tottenham in a frenetic and bad-tempered London derby on Sunday. Manager Thomas Tuchel is believed to be keen on adding at least one or two new faces in the coming weeks, and Everton winger Anthony Gordon could be the next one through the door, with the deal potentially sealed before their next match.
Elsewhere, the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle and Leeds could also all make late moves, and with money being spent left, right and centre so far this summer, you just never know what will happen next.
Express Sport rounds up all the latest transfer rumours and done deals below…
To follow all the latest on this fine Tuesday morning, click HERE.
Arsenal icon Paul Merson believes that Cristiano Ronaldo would solve Chelsea’s attacking woes if he leaves Manchester United to join the Blues between now and the end of the summer transfer window.
“They haven’t got a goalscorer or centre-forward and that cost them three points,” said Merson in his latest column for Sky Sports.
“Despite their domination, Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris made just one save. That tells you all you need to know.
“I cannot believe they didn’t or haven’t gone in for Cristiano Ronaldo. He just ticks all of the boxes Chelsea are lacking.”
Manchester United are closing in on the signing of Atletico Madrid forward Matheus Cunha in a deal that could rise up to around £42m, according to talkSPORT.
The Red Devils have been targeting additional firepower since the end of last season but have been left frustrated in their efforts to strengthen in attack as of yet.
It seems as though a change in fortunes could be on the horizon, though, with Atletico having reportedly accepted a bid in excess of £40m in exchange for Cunha’s services.As many as nine potential suitors are lining up to battle it out for the signature of Manchester United defender Eric Bailly this summer, according to Jonathan Shrager.
The Ivorian centre-back has slipped down the pecking order at Old Trafford following the arrival of Lisandro Martinez and has reportedly been made available for a move elsewhere before next month’s all-important deadline.
Marseille, Monaco, Valencia, West Ham, Besiktas, Fenerbahce, Galatasaray, AC Milan and Roma are said to be the nine interested clubs with a shared desire to land Bailly over the coming weeks.
Leicester City defender Wesley Fofana is unhappy with life at the King Power Stadium as he feels the Foxes are pricing him out of a potential move to Chelsea, according to Sky Sports.
Fofana is said to have emerged as a high-priority target for the Blues, who are still looking to add another first-choice central defender to their ranks before the summer transfer window closes next month.
An offer in the region of £70m has already been turned down by Leicester, who are unwilling to sell unless Chelsea are prepared to make Fofana the world’s most expensive defender by trumping the fee paid by Manchester United to land Harry Maguire back in 2019.
Manchester United are still hopeful of bringing Frenkie de Jong to Old Trafford this summer but know that a move will be increasingly difficult to pull off as time progresses.
That’s according to Sky Sports, who are claiming that United are gearing up to make a quick decision over whether to pull the plug on De Jong in order to pursue other targets.
There is a feeling that Barcelona are willing to sell the Dutchman, but those in power at United did not expect the saga to go on for this length of time.
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has suggested that the Reds could soon delve back into the market to bring in a new midfielder, with Thiago Alcantara, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Curtis Jones all sidelined through injury as things stand.
“We didn’t need a different kind of midfielder but if the right midfielder would have been available, we would have gone then as well,” Klopp told reporters.
“Now the situation has changed slightly, we have more injuries, that’s true. But it can still only be about the right [player] and that is not easy. It is nothing to do with that it is now August already and at the end of August, the transfer window closes.
“It’s just because it is 2022 and people have contracts until 2024, 2025 or 2026. That’s the situation and that’s why we have to be calm and sort our problems with the boys we have. It’s all about solutions and only one of these solutions is the transfer market.”Nottingham Forest could maintain their big-spending habits over the coming weeks by chasing a move for Chelsea outcast Tiemoue Bakayoko, according to Sky Italia.
The 27-year-old midfielder is halfway through a two-year loan spell at AC Milan but has been tipped to leave the San Siro before the end of the summer transfer window.
The Italian giants are set to hold ‘new talks’ with Forest over the coming days in order to explore the possibility of sending Bakayoko to the City Ground, with Milan happy to call a premature end his stay at the club.
Chelsea would also be willing to accept the move but it remains unclear whether Forest will keep up the chase after completing the signing of Remo Freuler earlier this month.
Newcastle United have seen a bid rejected by Watford for the services of Brazilian forward Joao Pedro, according to Sky Sports News.
The Magpies are still believed to be active in the transfer market despite having already signed three new players since the end of last season.
They have reportedly identified Pedro as a priority target in attack and recently tabled an offer in the region of £20m for the forward, who has started every game for Watford in the Championship so far this season.
The proposal was swiftly rejected by the Hornets, though, to send Newcastle back to the drawing board in their pursuit of Pedro’s signature.
Manchester United’s long-running pursuit of Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong appears to have taken another twist as their bid for the Dutchman has now expired.
That’s according to De Telegraaf, who are reporting that a new offer will need to be made for United to stand any chance of bringing the 25-year-old to Old Trafford this summer.
De Jong has been a high-profile target for United since the end of last season but it seems as though a move is no closer to being engineered in spite of their best efforts over the last few months.
Chelsea are weighing up the idea of proposing a swap deal to push through a move for Everton winger Anthony Gordon after seeing an initial bid rejected by the Toffees, according to Fabrizio Romano.
Everton have already turned down an offer in the region of £40m for Gordon, who remains tied down at Goodison Park until the summer of 2025 and has been tipped to play an important role for Frank Lampard’s side over the course of this season.
Chelsea have not yet been deterred, though, with those in power at Stamford Bridge now exploring the possibility of a swap offer to tempt Everton into selling up.
The west Londoners may decide to include Conor Gallagher in such a proposal in order to stand a better chance of bringing Gordon to the club over the course of this summer.Manchester United are stepping up their efforts to land Barcelona right-back Sergino Dest after he was deemed surplus to requirements at the Nou Camp.
That’s according to Sport, who are reporting that Erik ten Hag is ‘confident’ that a deal can be struck before the end of the summer transfer window.
United are now trying to offload Aaron Wan-Bissaka as a matter of priority in order to make room for Dest, who has been tentatively linked with a move to the Premier League for some time.
Barcelona, meanwhile, are demanding a fee in the region of £17m for the American defender and could also negotiate the inclusion of a buy-back clause or first refusal in the player’s contract with the Red Devils.
Adrien Rabiot seems to have confirmed his upcoming transfer to Manchester United in a fan-filmed video.
A fan has filmed his encounter with Rabiot after United agreed a £15m deal with Juventus for his services.
He said: “I am here with the great player Rabiot, of Juventus, now in England. So I wish you the best brother. Bye-bye.”
Rabiot, in advanced talks with the Red Devils over personal terms, replied: “Thank you. Bye.”
Adrien Rabiot appears to confirm his move to Manchester United. (ud83cudfa5 TK: crazycouplesardaigne) pic.twitter.com/0FddEhdmG2
Barcelona have increased their initial asking price worth around £15m for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang amid Xavi Hernandez’s desire to keep him at the club.
Fabrizio Romano reports Chelsea remain in talks with Barca and Thomas Tuchel is pushing to reunite with his former Borussia Dortmund striker.
But the La Liga giants have asked for a fee in the region of £25m, deemed far more than what Chelsea were willing to pay.
Marcos Alonso is still part of the negotiations and could be used to sweeten the deal for both clubs.
Chelsea are ready to test Everton’s resolve by making a second, improved approach for winger Anthony Gordon.
The Times report Chelsea could offer as much as £50m for the 21-year-old after Everton turned down their opening bid worth £40m.
Everton have stood firm on their ‘not-for-sale’ stance, but the Blues are ready to see if they could be tempted to sell.
Brighton & Hove Albion are in talks with Villarreal over the signing of Ecuador left-back Pervis Estupinan.
According to talkSPORT, Brighton are eyeing the 24-year-old as a replacement for Marc Cucurella.
Villarreal are demanding at least £15m plus add-ons for the ex-Watford star’s services.Manchester United are ‘considering’ a move for Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy in the final few weeks of the transfer window.
The Athletic report United have turned to Vardy in their late scramble to bolster Erik ten Hag’s attacking ranks.
But Leicester are reluctant to let their record Premier League goalscorer leave so late in the transfer window.
And aged 36, United fans may be sceptical over whether the move would be another example of a last-ditch panic after early failures in the window.
Ethan Laird has left Manchester United, joining QPR on a season-long loan for the 2022/23 campaign.
The 21-year-old right-back was close to joining Watford but failed to receive assurances over game time.
And after talks with other Championship clubs, United have decided QPR will be the best place for his development over the next 10 months.
Oh, hello Ethan ud83dudc4b #QPR | #LairdLoaned pic.twitter.com/Kw19B9PlZg
Aston Villa may return to the transfer market for a new central defender after receiving a huge blow on Monday morning.
The club has confirmed that Diego Carlos has ruptured his Achilles tendon and will now require surgery.
Villa signed the defensive general for £26m earlier this summer, but he is now likely to miss the rest of the season.
Steven Gerrard could move to recruit a replacement in the final weeks of the window, with Carlos the only certain centre-back starter so far this term.
Everton are still interested in signing Chelsea striker Armando Broja to bolster Frank Lampard’s firepower this summer.
According to CBS, the Toffees want Broja but have been met with reluctance to sell permanently by Chelsea.
The report claims that even if the Blues sign Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang this month, they aren’t keen on losing Broja yet.
And to make things more difficult for Everton, the Albanian frontman is uncertain he wants to leave on another loan move.
Barcelona have drawn out a five-man right-back shortlist this summer, featuring two Manchester United stars.
Xavi Hernandez has reportedly told Sergino Dest he can find a new club as he looks for more fresh blood.
And his right-back targets are as followed, in order of preference: Jeremie Frimpong, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Juan Foyth, Diogo Dalot and Thomas Meunier.
United are open to offers for Wan-Bissaka as Erik ten Hag eyes a new right-back of his own.Manchester United are willing to let James Garner leave on a permanent transfer this summer, with several Premier League clubs interested.
The Athletic report that Ten Hag will accept Garner’s departure if a suitable offer arrives and United value him at £14m.
Everton, Leeds and Southampton are all interested, while Tottenham have also watched him.
United will also let Eric Bailly leave permanently if they’re handed an enticing fee – West Ham, Marseille and Monaco are among his suitors.
Manchester City will refuse to sell Bernardo Silva to Barcelona if the La Liga club fail to meet their hefty valuation.
The Athletic report Man City value Bernardo at around £84m and are open to offers if that price is met.
They understand the 28-year-old’s desire to move to the Nou Camp, but have no intention to lose him for less than he’s worth.
Leeds United are not nearing the signings of former Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata and Watford winger Ismaila Sarr, despite contrasting reports.
The ever-reliable Fabrizio Romano has revealed Leeds haven’t submitted a bid for either player as things stand.
He added that the Elland Road club would only complete more signings before the transfer deadline if the right opportunity presented itself.
They could go in for either player in the coming weeks. But nothing is imminent.
Manchester United are interested in signing Espanyol striker Raul de Tomas this month and talks have commenced.
COPE report United have started negotiations with the La Liga outfit over De Tomas’ services as Erik ten Hag scrambles to boost his attacking options.
It’s claimed the 27-year-old’s transfer could be around £25m.
Everton have turned to Southampton striker Che Adams in their search for attacking firepower before the summer transfer window ends.
The Telegraph report Adams tops Frank Lampard’s transfer wishlist as he looks to replace Richarlison at Goodison Park.
Everton will ramp up their efforts to sign a striker this week and will approach Southampton over a deal.Manchester United have denied reports suggesting that they are considering terminating Cristiano Ronaldo‘s contract.
The Portugal international has sulked his way through matches against Brighton and Brentford so far this term. And he’s failed to score in either match amid his desire to leave.
Some reports claimed United want to see a change in attitude from the 37-year-old, and that failure to do so will see his contract terminated.
But United have since claimed that this is not true.
Chelsea could reportedly strike a deal to sign Anthony Gordon ‘in the coming days’ despite having their opening £40million bid rejected.
Reports emerged at the weekend that Chelsea had made a push to sign the highly-rated forward from Everton.
According to the BBC, Everton have rejected Chelsea’s opening offer but the Toffees appear willing to negotiate.
It is said that Chelsea will come back with an even higher bid in the near future and a deal could well be agreed ‘in the coming days’.
PSG striker Mauro Icardi has been linked with a move to Manchester United in recent weeks.
And according to Get Football News France, the Red Devils have now made an informal enquiry about the 29-year-old through intermediaries.
Icardi himself is thought to be keen on the move, but it remains to be seen if the two clubs can agree on a transfer fee.
Welcome to Express Sport’s Monday coverage of the summer transfer window!
It’s a new week. New stories will emerge, new signings will be made.
Join us throughout the day as we provide regular updates from across the Premier League and beyond…
See today’s front and back pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive.